Saturday, October 26, 2013

Gouache

Gouache (also spelled 'guache') is a kind of opaque water paint. Its mainly ingredients are: pigments, chalk, and a binding agent - usually gum arabic. Thanks to the addition of chalk it is much more opaque than watercolors and it is possible both to paint in many layers and just like in the watercolor technique. I often call gouache semi-oil paints due to its multilayer characteristic feature.
Each painting medium is different and special. The most appealing thing to me about gouache is the freedom from a waterly, wishy-washy application of paint to very strong, bold colors, when used with very little or no water. Being something in the middle makes gouache so wonderful!
Just as it is very hard to find good quality oil paints, it is the same with gouache. My favorite brand is Talens and I think they are the best! Unfortunately, other brands somehow missed to understand the idea of gouache and often make it more acrylic than gouache.

Here are the "Three Musketeers" I use for my gouache paintings:



No comments:

Post a Comment